Custom Background

Friday, November 2, 2012

Surviving day 1 and issuing a challenge to everyone...


Leon fell asleep reading outside a downtown building, because he had a very sleepless night.

It hasn’t been easy. Saying goodbye to Leon yesterday was excruciating, but going to bed alone was even more so. After a couple glasses of wine and a brownie (my ultimate comfort food and drink), I went to bed. I thought I would be up all night, but I think my two previous nights of sleeplessness set in, and I crashed and slept all night.

This morning, after speaking with Layne-our friend, and my only constant link to Leon-I learned that Leon didn’t have as much rest as I did last night. He didn’t know where to sleep, how safe the shelters are, and what his best course of action was, so he wandered the streets all night. He hung out at the fountain building, he walked the streets, he talked to a few people who were also out last night, and basically got no sleep.

Am I surprised? No. But I am hurting for him nonetheless. I knew this was going to be a difficult experience, but I had no idea just how hard it would be for me, watching my husband go through it!

It’s so cool that so many people are rallying to support Leon in his journey as a result of the FB group and some of the news stories. In fact, we didn’t even get to celebrate making it to 300 and 400 likes on Facebook because it has all been going by so quickly. But just like everything else out in public, there is always negativity and criticism. I have been consumed with some of the negative comments and issues that have been coming as a result of this journey being in the spotlight a little, and it has kept me from what I should be doing-focusing on my husband and praying for him. 

It’s amazing how easily we can be distracted from our current realities by negativity...and it becomes a consuming fog around us that keep us from being effective in our lives. The truth is, Leon is doing something incredible because he has a beautiful heart to understand people from all different backgrounds and walks of life. The other reality is that he is on the streets day and night, and I should be praying for him and focusing on my family and how we are functioning...instead, I’ve been focusing on all the wrong things, and it is making me ineffective in this journey that Leon has fought so hard for. 

With one small bible verse, posted by my cousin Logan today, I am comforted, and reminded of the heart of my husband yet again. In the book of James, chapter 2, James talks about our faith in God, and how our works (what we do) show that faith to the world. He says that faith apart from works means nothing, and then he says “I will show you my faith by what I do.” I, knowing Leon’s heart and caring for it deeply, know that this act of selflessness on the part of Leon, is doing exactly what James did hundreds of years ago, and before him, this is what Jesus did. He walked with people, chatted with them, and helped them see God just a little more clearly than they currently saw God, and created a movement of faith that still continues today. 

If Leon’s journey is inspiring people, then that’s great...but that is not his motive. He only wants to experience something as drastic as this so he can better understand and speak to people, and I think we can all learn a little bit from him...especially me! 



So...now to issue a challenge to all of us.....

Leon’s faith journey has inspired many people already, and it has only just begun! We have heard stories of people who’s children are inspired to collect coats for the homeless. We have heard from people who are giving up things for November in support and reminder of what Leon is doing. We have had people say that Leon’s journey has inspired them to help out at a homeless shelter in November, or give Thanksgiving meals to needy families, or donate money to a charity or individual. It has been amazing to see how Leon’s simple act of faith is inspiring others to do something in their own lives as well.

So this is my challenge to you....for the month of November, what can you do to be more generous and selfless to those around you? The sky is the limit, and any act of kindness that you do can make miracles happen! If you would like to accept the challenge, we want to hear from you! Post on our Facebook Page and tell us what your personal challenge will be, and let’s all encourage each other to live more generously this month and even longer. Can’t wait to hear your challenges, and I will try to come up with something of my own...you know, besides giving up my husband for the month! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment