Custom Background

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A month feels like a day...

How can it be possible that our baby boy is already a month old?! Even he can't believe it!

 

It seems like only yesterday that we were in the hospital just getting to know our little man, and on the 4th of July, he had his 1 month birthday! I am completely dumbfounded at how fast time has flown, but have been loving every minute!

Leon and I recently reconnected with an old friend who loves deep, personal conversations as much as we do. After she recovered from the initial shock of seeing us with a baby, she asked us a great question that I think bears repeating...what was the most surprising thing about having a baby for us?

Leon's response was that he was surprised at how close it was bringing the two of us together. We always hear how marriage gets strained with children, and I think we were expecting that to happen from the very beginning, but in our case, at least so far, it has done nothing but bring us closer together. Not only do we have this amazing child to care for, but watching each other become parents has only increased our love for one another. We are still focused on our marriage first and foremost, and then being parents to Micah. And the fact that Micah wasn't an instant wedge in between us, surprised Leon....even to the point where he coined my new favorite saying of all time: "I'd sell a kid on eBay before I let it ruin my marriage!" :)

My answer to the question was that I was most surprised by how much I loved it. I felt like everyone had only told me the downsides to having a newborn..."get ready to be exhausted," "plan on staying home for 3 months," "expect your marriage to be strained," etc.... I heard it all, from bad personal experiences, to warnings about colic, fussiness, marital problems, sleepless nights and more. Because of what everyone was telling me, I was expecting it to be completely draining, and while I am tired, and even leaving the house is more difficult than it used to be, I think that I over-prepared for the worst, and am now surprised at how amazing it is!

**So I was just curious...for all you parents out there, think back to when you first had a baby (some may have to think back further than others!). What was the most surprising thing for you? I am always interested in hearing other people's thoughts, so if you have time, comment on this post and tell us what was most surprising for you!

1 comment:

  1. i have been the most surprised at how this baby girl has *completely* turned my world upside down... and in the BEST way. besides each other, she is nick and i's first priority and the things that used to matter to me just don't matter as much now that she is here. (i echo your thoughts on other things as well... i didn't know how much FUN having a baby would be) we are blessed, my friend!! :) happy one month birthday to little micah!

    ReplyDelete