Custom Background

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pneumonia woes.


The way Micah has slept for the past 4 days...in the arms of his mommy.

Over the past few days, our family has been having some difficulties, which have kept me from the blogging circuit. Micah has had a cough for a while, and it developed into something more around Wednesday. It sent me to CareNow late at night on Thursday, which was truly an act of desperation because you never really if those doctors actually know what they’re doing! Leon had worship band practice so I was there by myself, holding my lethargic child, singing worship songs to keep him calm, while doctors and nurses poked and prodded, trying to determine the problem.

One nurse came in, took his vitals, and after she timed his pulse, she immediately left the room and another nurse came in, telling me Nurse #1 wanted her to take his pulse too. [Alarming moment #1] Nurse #2 said that his heart rate was pretty high, and the first nurse wanted a second opinion. So when Nurse #2 confirmed Nurse #1’s analysis, they realized something was not right. Then once they took his temperature and it was 103, they immediately gave him 50% more of a dosage of Tylenol than I ever give him for fever. [Alarming moment #2].

To make a long story short, the doctor came in, examined him, thought it sounded bad, and ordered a chest x-ray. The x-ray confirmed pneumonia, and they immediately gave him a horrible, painful shot of a very powerful antibiotic, and then basically freaked me out with instructions for what to watch out for, and when to go immediately to the ER because he could crash and stop breathing.....etc.

So as I hear all this, I start freaking out, crying hysterically, all while trying to keep Micah calm. He requested I sing “Oh My Soul,” to him, which of course is Matt Redman’s Ten Thousand Reasons, and one of Micah’s favorite songs. So I sit, not able to carry on any normal conversation without sobbing, cuddling my sick baby, trying to sing a song that already reduces me to tears....it was not pretty. Humorous maybe, but not pretty. 

So after several sleepless nights, holding Micah in my arms, making sure he was breathing, watching every movie on the HBO movie rotation while he rests, force-feeding the little guy, and constantly refilling cups of Pedialyte, I think we are on the mend. We finally have some energy around our house, and are ready to get back to life as usual. So thanks for the patience....several blog posts on the horizon that you won’t want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment